Ghana’s coronavirus situation worsens


The coronavirus situation in Ghana has become worse as four new cases have been confirmed. This brings to six the total number of confirmed cases of the disease. Only three days ago [March 12, 2020], Ghana confirmed its first two cases of the dreaded disease.

Announcing the four new cases on Sunday [March 15, 2020],  Dr Badu Sarkodie, the Director for Public Health at the Ghana Health Service (GHS), said the new cases involved three men and one woman.

He said all the patients have been quarantined and are being monitored.

A 56-year-old Ghanaian who is among the patients, returned from a trip to the UK where he spent 10 days. He returned to Ghana on March 4 and developed some symptoms 8 days later (March 12). The patient then reported to a hospital in Obuasi.

Samples collected from the patient and tested in Kumasi came out positive for coronavirus.

One of the cases was also detected on March 13 at the Nyaho Clinic in Accra, where the victim went for medical attention. His samples also returned positive after tests were run at the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research. said its check revealed this patient, a student, had returned from Dallas in the US to Accra on March 9.

“She had been to the campus of the University of Ghana (UG) and attended lectures at both the Business School  (G2) lecture hall and the School of Pharmacy new laboratory and lecture halls. Five people who interacted with the patient have been self-isolated to ensure their safety and that of others.”

The report said the Noguchi Memorial Institute confirmed two new cases on Saturday, March 14.

“The first was a 42-year-old Ghanaian man, who returned to Ghana on March 8 after trips to Switzerland and the UK in the past 14 days. Symptoms started on March 9, and he reported to a health facility. Samples taken to Noguchi proved positive for the coronavirus.

“The other case involved a 41-year-old Ghanaian man who reported to the Tema General Hospital on March 14 with conditions of fever and acute respiratory problems. The symptoms started on March 10 after he returned from a trip to Germany and Turkey, within the last 14 days.”

Meanwhile, the health authorities are said to have begun contact tracing in order to try to identify all those who came into contact with the infected persons.

By a writer


Please, like us on our Facebook page:

And follow us on Twitter:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here